Serve these juicy, lemony chicken pieces in warm pita bread or another flatbread with some tahini sauce, crunchy pickles, tomato slices, and onions.
1. Place the chicken in a large bowl and add all the ingredients with 2 tsp salt and one tsp pepper. Mix well, then cover and marinate over night or atleast 2 hours.
2. Grill on an outside grill or a large ridged stove top grill pan on medium high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, just till done. The lemon juice has already “cooked” the chicken somewhat.
3. Transfer to a plate and cover tightly with foil and leave to rest for a few minutes before slicing to serve. Fill pita pockets with the sliced chicken.
4. Thinly slice the pickles, tomatoes, and onions to add to the chicken.
5. Drizzle with tahini sauce.
Do you prefer lamb, beef, or chicken shawarma?
2 lbs skinless chicken thigh fillets
finely grated zest ans juice of one lemon
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp seven spice
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
assorted sliced vegetables: pickles, tomato, onion