This month, summer squash like zucchini, are prolific in gardens and markets. Think sweet instead of savory when purchasing or harvesting these hot weather jewels!
Zucchini bread is a crowd pleaser. The following recipe is for two loaves. I like to freeze the extra to have on hand when guests drop by or when I need a gift at the spur of the moment.
1. Grate the zucchini with a boxed grater.
2. Place the grated product in a sieve over a bowl to drain while prepping other ingredients.
3. Cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs.
4. Stir in the grated zucchini.
5. Add the dry ingredients including the spices and rising agents.
6. Fold in any seeds, nuts, or dried fruit.
7. Bake at 350 in two 9 x 5 pans for 50-60 minutes till tooth pick comes out clean.
Are you ready to try a switch in thinking about squash as a sweet dish?
4 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cups melted butter
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 cup nuts and/or seeds
1 cup chopped dried fruit